Cheating and all its emotional pains and disruption to peaceful and loving relationships is still one of the most sought-after problems in relationships. People cheat all the time, maybe because they are unsatisfied in their present relationship or because they are emotionally connected to another person or because they haven’t moved on from a previous lover. Whatever the reason may be, the person who has been cheated on always feels downcast, and sometimes depressed. But the did has been done and the pertinent question is: How can you cope with the fact that your partner has cheated on you? What can you do to make yourself feel better?
Here are 7 coping mechanisms to adopt once you discover your partner cheated on you:
- Avoid the details: It is hard and you need closure, but by all means, avoid knowing the erotic details of how it happened, when it happened and how many times it happened. No matter how tempting it is to know this. The details have a way of keeping the image in your head forever and impacting on your psychology.
- Keep Calm: Remember karma is a bi*ch so just keep calm. No need to blame yourself. I repeat…KEEP CALM.
- Have that talk: Try to find out why your cheating partner did what he or she did and if there is a future for your broken but existing relationship.
- Get Tested: This is very important, you would like to know if you have been infected with any STDs and if that’s the case, you will definitely want to get treated.
- Forgive: This is the hardest of all, but you are doing it for YOU and not for your cheating partner. You need to forgive to have that freedom that will help you move forward.
- Invest in yourself: The midst of the storm is the time to find yourself, develop yourself and become a better upgraded version of yourself. No one can take away your personal developments. Investing in yourself will also make you shift your focus to other things that matters in life other than the hurt and pain your cheating partner has caused you.
- Move on: No amount of “I am sorry” can undo the unfaithfulness. So its either you forgive and move on or you break up and move on. Whatever choice you make, just move on. Don’t get stuck in the past!
If you are going through a difficult time moving past this stage of your life, hang in there, time as they say “answers all things.”