Imagine you are queued up at the ATM and you catch a whiff of an unpleasant smell from the person standing right next to you. Imagine further that the smell oozes from her hair but you are not entirely certain if you are the only one perceiving it. So you ask the person behind you if she can perceive the odd smell and she says the smell is actually stronger when she leans forward towards the lady in front of you. You both give yourself a meaningful look and hold your nose like you have never excreted in your life. You take a closer look and realize the lady is well dressed but she is wearing a wig that looks ill-kept and oozes like a corpse that has been left to fate.
That’s how it looks when you are immaculately dressed yet your appearance smells like shit just because you omitted a minor detail- your wig. No matter how much you bought the wig for, your failure to take care of your wig- Human hair or synthetic can make you look like a hag in an important event be it a wedding party or a corporate meeting.
Wigs are the next best thing right after clothes and you should treat you wigs pretty much like your clothes. Some people do not even know that wigs just like your hair should be washed and cleaned properly.
You are probably wondering why we are being so extreme on keeping wigs clean, but wig care is highly underrated because wigs are utility items right? So why should we spend so many arduous hours on something that is supposed to make our life easier?
Wigs can and will make your life easier just as long as you don’t defeat the purpose of the wig along the line which is to make you look good. No one likes a tattered looking individual and your lack of wig care would soon get really noticeable if you don’t develop a hair care routine today or at least before the week runs out.
Caring for Human Hair wigs (The more expensive Brazilian hairs, 360 closures, frontals etc.)
Human hair wigs are perfect in giving a lady a natural look. The feeling you get when you buy your first bundle cannot really be described; the fluffy soft texture is quite amazing and so is the price tag on these quality hairs. Human hair wigs are very natural looking and as such requires the same type of care you would give to your real hair. After buying your human hair wig it is important that you wash it. In the same way that you wash new clothes before wearing them washing your new bundles is important this is in a situation where you are making the wig yourself but if you have a hairstylist you trust, make sure to remind them to wash the hair before making the wig. This is just to ensure cleanliness.
Here is an outline of your wash day process:
- Prepare for wash day by selecting hair care products that are specifically designed for natural hair.
- Detangle hair before wetting.
- Wet hair with cool or lukewarm water.
- Apply shampoo to wet hair.
- Comb the shampoo through hair taking the comb all the way from top to bottom. DO NOT RUB OR SCRUB HAIR.
- Apply soapy water to the wig cap.
- Rinse with clean cool/lukewarm water from the top to the tips, rinse cap also to remove excess shampoo.
- Gently dab hair with a towel.
- After washing, condition your human hair wig. (Avoid applying conditioner to the base of the wig (i.e. do not apply conditioner on the weave tracks).
- Use a wide-tooth comb or your finger to run through hair from top to bottom.
- Rinse and allow human hair wig to dry on a wig stand or set wig using rollers.
- When styling human hair wigs, do not use hairspray or gel this would make it oily and easily messy, also limit the use of heat.
Caring for Synthetic wigs
The difference between human hair wigs and synthetic wigs is fiber. Human hair wigs do not hold their style after washing but synthetic wigs can hold their style after washing. This is due to the presence of fiber. Here’s how to take care of your synthetic wig:
- Detangle hair first.
- Wash with cold water (as hot water can damage the fiber) add shampoo and immerse wig in a soapy mixture, soak it for a few minutes.
- Apply conditioner. Comb through from top to bottom. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Rinse with clean cold water.
- Style hair and air dry. (DO NOT USE HAIRDRYER TO AVOID HEAT DAMAGE)
General Wig Care Routine (Free Tips and Best Practices)
- Wash human hair wig every 1-2months.
- Use cold or lukewarm water.
- Use normal shampoo and conditioner. (for silky shine)
- Avoid high temperature. (from curling irons or flat irons)
- Air dry wig.
- Do not comb hair after washing only comb hair when dry.
- When you are not wearing your hair return it to the original packaging and store in a cool dry place.
No one likes smelly or tattered looking hair especially not me. I hope you found this helpful. Don’t forget to share and tag a friend on our social media sites.