This got me laughing and there’s no harm in sharing the joy we feel with others. Someone posted on face book some reasons on why he feels African couples are not romantic. I read the list and I could immediately relate with it. However, I blame African men and not the women for this total failure in having a romantic relationship after marriage. And before the men go defensive on me or even aggressive *wink* hear me out. Most men always want to appear macho especially when extended family members or friends are around this sparks a distance almost immediately between the couples. Another reason why African men are not romantic is they crave respect, they believe playing romance with the wife diminishes their respect. What of the fact that they fear what people would say about them? Especially sharp tongued friends, acquaintances and family members who would say he is behaving like a mumu and he has no control over his home. African men are engrossed in providing for the family or maintaining their macho and ego that they forget how to inject romance into their relationship. Some even insult their spouse for trying to be romantic. However, at the beginning of the relationship they are all over the place, trying too hard to please… I guess it is all part of the hunting games. Once in a relationship, only few are able to keep the spark alive and the fire of passion burning for all time. Afterwards, it is seasonal romance, most men don’t even know what their wives like or want. Chai! African men need to pay more attention to details they are preoccupied with work and financial pressure – bills to pay etc. The bulk of a romantic relationship lies more with men as the initiators. P.S. I am only encouraging African men and not condemning them. Somebody must be bold enough to tell them the truth.
*WHY AFRICAN COUPLES ARE NOT ROMANTIC*
Many marriages are just for sleeping and waking up, raising kids and ageing together till death comes.
* Many couples hardly kiss and they only hug each other when they receive good news.
* The husband only puts food in his wife’s mouth only when she is terminally ill and cant feed herself.
* If you see a man opening car door for his wife means the door is faulty.
* The only thing that makes an African man touch his wife’s neck is when she complains of fever. He wont touch it again till the next fever.
* The only time he can carry his wife on his arms is when she is in labour.
* if you see them seated outside at night, dont think they are romantic. They are only waiting for the smell of insecticide to vanish.
* Many wives buy gifts for their husbands only when they are hospitalized.
* The only time they race together is when there is danger and everyone is running.
* The only time they go for evening stroll is when they want to go and lay a complain to the parents of the person that beat their child or got their daughter pregnant.
* The only time they bath together is when both are late for work.
* the only time a wife looks closely to her husband’s eyes is when he complains of dirt in his eyes.
Unfortunately, Africans feel that any romantic man is being controlled by his wife.
They will begin to spread rumours around like: “chai, see as his’wife don carry juju cage am”.